Medical tourism in Sri Lanka is not highly popular at present but it is growing at a very fast pace. The healthcare sector in Sri Lanka is able to offer world-class medical care at relatively much lower prices. Along with expanding healthcare, Sri Lanka is a great holiday destination, making it an attractive place amongst international patients. If you are planning to visit Sri Lanka to get medical treatment, contact Ortil Healthcare. We have tie-ups with some of the best hospitals in Sri Lanka and we can help you have a stress-free experience with top quality services.
First and foremost, it is important to know the general eligibility requirements for Sri Lankan Visa:
01. You must be suitable to enter Sri Lanka according to Sri Lanka Immigration & Emigration department.
02. Your purpose of entering Sri Lanka must be approved by Sri Lanka Immigration & Emigration department.
03. You must hold a passport with a minimum validity of 6 months from the date of entering Sri Lanka.
04. You must have adequate funds for your stay and medical treatment.
05. You must have a confirmed return ticket.
In addition to this, you must comply with the following conditions:
01. You must not get involved in any form of employment, trade or business during your stay in Sri Lanka.
02. Your visa must be utilized before the date of expiry mentioned on the visa.
03. If you wish to extend your visa, you will need to submit an application to the Department of Immigration and Emigration.
04. The validity of your visa is subject to your entry into Sri Lanka during the indicated entry period.
At present, it is mandatory to get an Electronic Travel Authorization or ETA which is an official authorization for a short visit to Sri Lanka. This allows the patients to stay for 30 days. It can be applied online. At the entry checkpoint, you will need to present a passport and a copy of the ETA to the officers. To get a visa for the purpose of medical treatment, one needs to apply for a visa under the category of tourist visa for a short visit.
How to submit an ETA application?
An Electronic Travel Authorization can be submitted by using any of the following options:
01. By the applicant
02. By a third party
03. At Sri Lanka Overseas Missions
04. At the Head office of the Department of Immigration and Emigration, Colombo
05. On arrival at the port of entry in Sri Lanka
The application for ETA must be submitted online by using any of the above methods. There is no refund policy available. The ETA holder is entitled to enter Sri Lanka within three months from the date of issue of the Electronic Travel Authorization. Also, if your ETA gets rejected, you will get a referral notification and you will need to contact the nearest Sri Lanka Overseas Mission for further assistance.
Steps for ETA application by the applicant:
01. Click on the apply button, fill the ETA application form, and pay the required fee with your credit or debit card. Thereafter, click on the submit button. Only Visa, Master and American Express cards are accepted.
02. You will receive an acknowledgement message when your application is received.
03. To check the ETA status, you can log into the ETA website or call the ETA office.
04. After receiving the ETA, it is advisable to take a printout that you may need to produce at the entry checkpoint.
05. Along with the ETA, you must have your passport (with a validity of at least 6 months), a confirmed return ticket, and proof of funds at the checkpoint.
06. Initially, an ETA is granted for 30 days, but it can be extended up to 6 months.
Similar steps can be followed if you are applying through a third party like an agent, a friend, or an airline.
Steps for ETA application through Sri Lanka Overseas Missions
This method is recommended for those who wish to obtain ETA from a Sri Lanka Overseas Mission and need to have a visa endorsed on their passports.
01. Visit the nearest Sri Lanka Overseas Mission and Fill the ETA application form.
02. Hand it over to the visa officer along with the visa fee.
03. After submitting the application you will receive an acknowledgement.
04. The Sri Lanka Overseas Mission with the agreement of the Department of Immigration & Emigration will grant you a short stay visa or 30 days.
05. You can collect your ETA approval notice and passport endorsed with a visa from the Sri Lanka Overseas Mission.
Submitting an ETA Application at Port of Entry to Sri Lanka
If you want to visit Sri Lanka on an urgent basis without a prior ETA approval, you can obtain ETA at Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA). However, you will need to pay an additional fee.
01. After your arrival at BIA, report to the ETA issuing counter and fill the ETA application form. Pay the required amount in US dollars through your credit or debit card.
02. If your application is approved, you will be issued an ETA within 30 days.
03. Take your ETA approval notice to enter Sri Lanka. If you get a referral notice, you will be denied entry and you will need to return to your country.
04. Once you receive your ETA, you will need to visit the Immigration Counter and submit your passport.
Extension of Visa
Extension must be applied before the expiry of your visa. The documents that you will need are:
01. Completely filled and signed visa extension application.
02. Original Passport
03. Passport size photograph (3.5cm x 4.5cm)
04. Proof of funds to cover the extended stay
05. Confirmed return ticket
06. Any other supporting document that you might need to justify the purpose of the extension.
Steps to apply
01. Visit the Immigration Services Center to hand over the extension application and the required fee.
02. You will be notified when you are supposed to come back and collect the passport and extended visa.
03. Your passport can also be delivered to you by paying a nominal fee.
One of the most prominent destinations for medical tourism in search of high-quality healthcare services. If you are planning to visit Sri Lanka for medical treatment, feel free to consult Ortil Healthcare. We can make your entire journey smooth and pleasant. Our team will be happy to assist in every possible way during your stay.
One Stop Solution for your Medical Journey
Be the change and be an opportunist in transforming healthcare.Book Free Consultation
KM Jamal Uddin
I was reluctant to proceed with the treatment in India. Somehow assistance of Ortil Healthcare gave me the strength to decide on planning my medical tourism to Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, Delhi in India. On 24 November 2019, I was detected for a blockage in the brain and they recommended going with the brain stent before cardiac treatment. Both surgeries were completed in the duration of 72 hours:)
Trusted by thousands of Hospitals
Ortil Healthcare India
Connect with our Healthcare Specialist.
Drop your details here, our healthcare specialist will get back to you!